NDRF HONOURED FAMILY MEMBER OF BRAVE MARTYRS
Date 30th September 2019 Time : 1400 hrs
Today the family members of the brave-heart martyrs of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) were remembered with pride & reverence by NDRF at the National Police Memorial (NPM), Chankyapuri, New Delhi. The other significance of organizing this program by NDRF today was to pay tribute to the citizens of the country who died during the devastating earthquake in Latur, Maharashtra on this very day (30th September) in 1993.
2. Minister of State (Home), Nityanand Rai graced the occasion as Chief Guest and conveyed the gratitude of the Nation to each of the valiant heroes who sacrificed his life at the altar of duty. While addressing the solemn gathering, Hon’ble Minister underlined the difficult, prompt and heroic tasks undertaken with pride and commitment by NDRF brave-hearts across the Nation. Hon’ble Minister honoured the family members of 09 NDRF brave-hearts who laid down their lives in the line of duty during Uttrakhand cloud burst-2013 and also the family members of NDRF martyr Sh. Rajendra Gautam who made the supreme sacrifice while saving an elderly lady during Ardh- Kumbh Mela-2019.
3. During the Uttarakhand Cloud Burst-2013, a team of 09 NDRF personnel was engaged in rescue and evacuation operations of hapless pilgrims, stranded in the high ridges of the mountain at Kedarnath. The team displayed exemplary dedication and devotion in the highest tradition of NDRF. The men worked under a tremendously strenuous situation for 8 days and saved/rescued 1800 pilgrims. After accomplishing the assigned task, while returning, the chopper they were on unfortunately crashed near Gaurikund. All the 09 NDRF brave-hearts made the supreme sacrifice of their lives in the line of duty.
4. During the Kumbh Mela-2019, NDRF brave-heart Rajendra Gautam made the supreme sacrifice while saving an elderly lady from drowning in the Sangam. During the rescue, Rajendra sustained serious injuries in his spine and later succumbed to his injuries.
5. Director-General, NDRF Sh. S.N. Pradhan welcomed the august gathering and paid tributes to NDRF martyrs & gratitude to the families of martyrs. He expressed NDRF’s resolve to carry on serving the nation with dedication & commitment.
6. NDRF also organized an exhibition of DM equipment for the visitors. Today’s function was attended by large number of officers from CAPF’s/Central Police Organizations, school children as well as force personnel of all Ranks. The school children were provided with information & awareness about the various disaster response equipment and briefed about their functioning. They were also apprised about NDRF’s role & its activities/achievements.
Issued By ; PR Cell, NDRF HQ, New Delhi.